This recipe is so simple, I almost didn’t post it. It’s a combination that is usual in some spheres and maybe not so much in others.
We don’t generally eat a lot of pork unless we are visiting Spain or Germany, where it’s hard to avoid (but, who would want to avoid the delicious Jamon Serrano, anyway?). 😉
I’ve made this same dish two different ways, with pork chops and with pork belly. With pork belly, it’s much more juicy and flavourful.
PORK CHOPS WITH APPLES
Ingredients, for 2
- 4 pork chops
- 2 large apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 large onion, julienne
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
For Pork Chops:
- In a saucepan, over medium to low heat, add about 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the apples, onion, garlic and spices. Sauté until tender.
- Once the apples and onion are almost tender, sauté the pork chops in another pan with some olive oil. Season to taste.
- Serve the pork chops with the apple mixture over top.
- I served the pork chops with some roasted white and sweet potatoes.
For Pork Belly:
4-5 pork belly slices (for 2 persons)
- Preheat oven to 170C (340F).
- In a glass, oven proof dish, place the clean pork belly slices.
- Place the onions and apples in between and around the pork. Sprinkle the garlic and spices over top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until cooked, turning occasionally to cook well on both sides.
- I served the pork belly with some sautéed bok choy and water chestnuts.