This recipe is so simple, I almost didn’t post it. It’s a combination that is usual in some spheres and maybe not so much in others.
We don’t generally eat a lot of pork unless we are visiting Spain or Germany, where it’s hard to avoid (but, who would want to avoid the delicious Jamon Serrano, anyway?).
I’ve made this same dish two different ways, with pork chops and with pork belly. With pork belly, it’s much more juicy and flavourful.
PORK CHOPS WITH APPLES
Ingredients, for 2
- 4 pork chops
- 2 large apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 large onion, julienne
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
For Pork Chops:
- In a saucepan, over medium to low heat, add about 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the apples, onion, garlic and spices. Sauté until tender.
- Once the apples and onion are almost tender, sauté the pork chops in another pan with some olive oil. Season to taste.
- Serve the pork chops with the apple mixture over top.
- I served the pork chops with some roasted white and sweet potatoes.
For Pork Belly:
4-5 pork belly slices (for 2 persons)
- Preheat oven to 170C (340F).
- In a glass, oven proof dish, place the clean pork belly slices.
- Place the onions and apples in between and around the pork. Sprinkle the garlic and spices over top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until cooked, turning occasionally to cook well on both sides.
- I served the pork belly with some sautéed bok choy and water chestnuts.