Before leaving on our trip, I made sure our fridge was clean and mostly empty, except for a few vegetables that I knew would still be fresh when we returned. One of these vegetables is butternut squash, which I actually didn’t leave in the fridge and with which I cook a lot during the fall and winter months, as one can see in previous recipes.
Our vacation was a lot of fun and spent in the best company, my parents.Okay, I’m a bit biased, but we did have a great time. We enjoyed mostly warm and sunny weather in Florida and even had the opportunity to include some sports, beach and sightseeing. So, arriving on Monday to a chillier and very grey London was somewhat depressing. But one of the things that makes me happy is my kitchen and cooking… so I’m at it already.
Yesterday, I baked some “sourdough” grainfree bread, which is totally amazing (click here for the recipe) and made this stew for dinner.
BEEF & BUTTERNUT SQUASH STEW
Ingredients, for 4
- 4-5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 kilo stewing beef, cut into 5cm (1inch) chunks
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 4 cups water
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 3 sprigs of Chinese spinach (optional)
- 2 celery stalks (branch, not full bunch), chopped
- 1/2 large butternut squash (approx 600-700g), cut into 1 inch chunks
- 3 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- a handful of fresh sage leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground rosemary
- 1 teaspoon pimenton (or paprika)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- sea salt and black ground pepper, to taste
- 12-15 “canned” artichoke hearts (we buy ours in Spain, and they come in a glass jar, not a can), cut in halves
- zest of one lemon
In a large pot, add the olive oil, garlic and onions. Over medium heat, cook until the onion starts to become transparent, but not loose its colour. Add the meat and brown on all sides. Add the white wine and cook for 3 minutes. Add water and remaining vegetables and spices. Simmer and cook for 30-40 minutes, or until the meat and squash are tender. (If you want a thicker sauce, add 3 cups of water instead.)
Remove from heat. Add the artichoke hearts and lemon zest and allow to sit 5-7 minutes before serving.